Wines for Christmas Day
On these cold frosty nights with fires blazing, radiators hopping and the Christmas tree lights sparkling, there is nothing more warming than a delicious glass of wine!
With Christmas just a few days away it’s time to stock up on your wines…Here are some ideas bringing you from aperitif to digestif.
Drinks before dinner have a really important purpose: they get the appetite stimulated. This should be a very simple, dry, crisp and light wine that can be drunk easily without food; light Italian whites, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling or Champagne/Sparkling wine.
• Custoza, Zenato, Italy Normally €10.99 Special €7.99
• Pere Ventura Cava Brut, €13.99
• Forget-Brimont 1er Cru Brut Champagne €39.99
It’s probably a good idea to keep the starter wine simple in taste, something crisp and cleansing. Salad based starters work well with most dry whites; Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, crisp Chablis or Unoaked Chardonnay. Soup suits medium bodies Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, and indeed rosés and sparkling wines .
• Pinot Grigio, San Giorgio, Normally €9.99 Special €8.50
• Norte Chico Unoaked Chardonnay, €10.99
• Sauvignon Blanc, Hunky Dory, Marlborough, €11.99
Turkey and ham go well with a very wide range of wines, red and white. A merlot based Bordeaux, Burgundy, a soft Pinot Noir, or something more full bodied such as a Ripassa from Italy, Chateauneuf du Pape or Australian Shiraz are ideal. If you prefer white wine go for something with plenty of fruit and body. A rich Chablis, Chardonnay, oaked or not or a Sauvignon Blanc. If you are having goose, a rich textured Pinot Gris, an off dry German Riesling or once again a Pinot Noir are the best choice.
• Domaine des Malandes Chablis, €18.99
• Domaine des Malandes Chablis 1er Cru Normally €23.99 Special €20.99
• Wakefield Chardonnay, Normally €12.99 Special €9.99
• Dandelion Chardonnay, Australia €14.99
• Wakefield Pinot Noir, Normally €12.99 Special €9.99
• Domaine Gayda T’air d’oc Syrah, France €12.99
• Forrest Estate Pinot Noir 2008, Marlborough, €22.99
• Zenato Ripassa 2006, Italy Normally €19.99 Special €15.99
Christmas Cake or Pudding
Christmas isn’t the same without a bottle of something sweet and sticky. Whether with pudding, Christmas cake or blue cheese, a glass of something fortified or dessert wine is an essential part of Christmas Day. Dessert wine will keep for up to a week in the fridge, Port and Sherry will last a few weeks.
• D’arenberg The Noble Riesling 2006, Australia €21.99
• Chateau Filhot Sauternes 2005, France €22.99
• Valdivia Pedro Ximenez, Spain €16.99
• Elysium Black Muscat, California €14.99
Available from Dicey Reilly’s, Ballyshannon
And good independent Off Licences